Goodnow Hall Restoration & Renovation - Grinnell, Iowa
Goodnow Hall, completed in 1885 as Goodnow Library and Observatory, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has become recognized as a key architectural element on the Grinnell College campus. The goals of the project were to preserve the building through exterior restoration while renovating the interior for contemporary needs including life safety and functional efficiency. The building was renovated for the Anthropology Department.
The design includes the restoration of exterior walls, entrance lobby and first floor seminar room. The remainder of the interior has been renovated for Anthropology Department offices and teaching spaces. Exterior restoration includes replacement of severely deteriorated sandstone with matching new material and rebuilding a portion of the exterior masonry walls. Restoration also includes masonry cleaning and tuckpointing, stained glass restoration, and entrance door restoration. Replacement windows duplicate original windows in appearance while attaining a high degree of energy efficiency.